Monday, February 13, 2012

Review of Farewell to the Flesh by Dawn of Ashes


1. Farewell to the Flesh
2. Transformation Within Fictional Mutation (K. Bathory Mix)
3. Carnal Consummation in the Empty Space (Falling Skies Mix)
4. Carnal Consummation in the Empty Space (Die Sektor Mix)
5. Carnal Consummation in the Empty Space (To Mega Therion Mix)
6. Seething the Flesh in the River ov Phlegethon (The Juggernaut Mix)
7. Torture Device Part Two
8. Blood-Shed With the 3rd Eye (Instrumental)

Farewell to the Flesh is a digital EP from Dawn of Ashes. It features three new tracks Farewell to the Flesh Torture Device Part Two, and Blood-Shed With the 3rd Eye an instrumental. The other songs on this album are remixes of songs from the previous album Genocide Chapters. Now, before I continue, I want to note that I have never heard of this band before but in researching them I read they recently switched from “aggrotech” to melodic black metal. I am totally fine with that, so I looked up their actual stuff. Seething the Flesh in the River of Phlegethon is a decent song, and I think they may be able to pull off the whole melo-blackened death turn. Now onto this new album.

The album starts off with the title track Farewell to the Flesh. It is an alright track, although at times it feels a little more too much on the industrial side to me and the riffs are a little repetitive. Next we have the remixes, and then my ears bleed. Doing remixes of metal bands just makes it seem like an industrial band, and this is what most of the album sounded like to me. It made me question the bands genre, I don’t know why remixing has become a new trend in the metal community but it need to end! Also putting three remixes of the same song in the middle of the album just makes me cringe. Noticing that it wasn’t as repetitive as I thought it was going to be, so it wasn’t too unbearable. The only remix that I didn’t mind was The Juggernaut’s mix of Seething the Flesh in the River ov Phlegethon, which is probably because that song is actually good. The second new song is Torture Device Part Two and it just sounds like Farewell to the Flesh with faster riffs thrown in and maybe a different bit here in there. The instrumental at the end is just an annoying way to end the album with demonic growls and screams and creepy voices, I don’t see the point of it being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment