Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spotlight: Arthur Review (Russell Brand, Helen Mirren, Jennifer Garner, Greta Gerwig, Luis Guzmán)


On the weekend I went to go see the remake of the 1981 film Arthur. I think this movie was very good, for a romantic comedy. Let’s get into the review!


As I said this was a remake of the original, which was directed by Steve Gordon in 1981. This remake was directed by Jason Winer, written by Peter Baynham, and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. I’ve not seen the original but I must say I enjoyed this movie, the cast was excellent. Russell Brand plays a character that he is familiar with in several other roles. He plays Arthur Bach who is ready to inherit millions of dollars if he can find a wife suitable for his mother’s likings, who is played by Geraldine James. Arthur has a nanny named Hobson, played by Helen Mirren, who keeps him from getting into too much trouble. The woman that his mother sees him marrying is named Susan Johnson and she is played by Jennifer Garner. Arthur does not love this woman and would rather marry a woman named Naomi, played by Greta Gerwig. The story is basically based on Arthur loving Greta and then Hobson helps Arthur through his struggles financially and romantically.


 I really liked this movie, although it is a romantic comedy. I do not mind this genre of film as long as the cast is one I can get behind. The only thing that bothered me about this movie was Russell Brand’s voice. I do not know if it was just me or not knowing his normal tone, but I found his voice to be a little higher than I remembered it in Get Him To The Greek. Other then that this movie is very well made and I think it did well as a remake. Although I have not seen the original this movie makes me believe that what they did with the original was a success. I recommend going to see this, if you like romantic comedies. If you are a man with a female companion who wants to go see this movie, I would say that if you like Russell Brand then you should definitely go. I give this film a 4.5/5.


No comments:

Post a Comment